Mundaring and Hills Historical Society and local libraries provide access to many out of print books covering the area’s interesting local history.
The heart of Darlington was once covered by one of the Darling Range’s earliest vineyards and wine from Darlington Vineyard was matured in the stone cellar that is now part of the village hall.
Title to this land was secured in 1883 by Dr Alfred Waylen, Chief Medical Officer of the fledgling Swan River Colony. However, it was Waylen’s partner, the Honourable Josceline Amherst — formerly Private Secretary to the Governor, Sir Napier Broome — who played a more active role in running the vineyard when he retired to the hills in 1889. Some of the pine trees that once bordered the vineyard still stand around the oval. By the turn of the century the vineyard boasted 10 acres of fruit trees, and 50 of vines, and it produced red and white wines and table grapes.
The original winery, now the hall. In fact, this building is now part of a larger one incorporating two halls. The outbuildings at right were replaced by the “new” greater hall, built on to the winery. Check the photographs below to see how the old wing has been enhanced by an entry porch area
Photo from “A Place in the Hills” by Trea Wiltshire
Amherst built a country retreat, Holmesdale, which still stands in Darlington Road. A Journal of Agriculture report at the turn of the century observed: “Darlington gained a railway siding shortly after Amherst moved there, and also a surveyed road connecting the place with the York road at Bilgoman Well.” Clearly the gentleman vigneron (member of the Legislative Council, the Swan Roads Board and the President of the Royal Agricultural Society of WA) was an influential figure.
Gradually more settlers were attracted to the hills to work in the orchards, vineyards and nurseries, the quarry at Boya or the timber mill at what is now Glen Forrest. Some settlers built weekend cottages in Darlington before moving to live off the land; others who settled in the village worked or studied in Perth, catching the daily 8.03am train to the city.
In the early decades of the 20th century, guest houses flourished in the Darling Range, and there were several in Darlington. Two of the best known still stand: Dalry Lodge and Leithdale. The latter was run by author Molly Skinner, and in 1922 the celebrated British writer D. H. Lawrence and his wife Frieda spent time at the guest house. Lawrence and Molly later collaborated on a book, The Boy in the Bush. Molly Skinner’s autobiography The Fifth Sparrow gives a vivid description of her life in Darlington.
Social events in Darlington ranged from musical evenings to cricket matches by the Nyaania Creek. By the l930s, the village had a general store (on the site of what is now Darlington Liquor and Gourmet), tearooms (now Darlington Studio Art Gallery and Tearooms), a Post Office, a butcher’s shop (later extended several times, today The Pines), several churches and a primary school (which began in the ballroom of Leithdale in 1912 before moving to its present site in Glen Road). It was joined by the Helena School in the l941.
(Written by Trea Wiltshire, author of A Place in the Hills, on sale at Darlington Post Office)
Note: Further information on the history of Darlington is available at the Mundaring and Hills Historical Society, at the Station Master’s House, 3060 Jacoby Street Mundaring
(Phone: 08 9295 0540)
The Shire of Mundarings early history is also covered in Mundaring, a History of the Shire by Ian Elliot (on sale at the Shire offices in Mundaring, and available at Shire libraries.)
First published in the 1950s, The Darlington Review is a not for profit monthly journal run by volunteers.
Subscribers and contributors include most of the village’s community groups, including the Darlington Ratepayers and Residents Association, local schools, churches and sporting groups. As this is a non-commercial site, advertising which appears in the printed journal does not appear on this site. Surplus funds raised through subscriptions and advertising are donated back to activities within the community. An Annual General Meeting is held in February or March each year.
Material for each edition of the Review must be submitted before 5 pm on the 20th of the month. Please keep contributions to a half page (approx 300 words), and Letters to Editor brief. Items may be placed in the Review Box at the Post Office or emailed to email@example.com (Copy sent by email preferred.)
CLASSIFIED ADVERTISEMENTS: Copy and payment to be placed in the Review Box at the Post Office before 5pm on the 20th of each month. Emailed advertisements will only be published if prior payment is received. Please remember that the Post Office closes at 11.30 on Saturdays and is closed for Public Holidays. Classified Ads rates: $10 for 4 lines + $4 each additional line; $5 for students.
Display Advertising Rates per insertion: Half page $150 ( 19cms wide x 13cms down ) ; 1/3 page $120 (12.5cms wide x 13 cms down) 1/6 page $60 (6cms wide x 13cms down).
Cover strips (NOTE: a minimum commitment of 6 months is required for both spots) Front $150 per issue Back $120 per issue.
Placement or cancellation of advertisements must be received by no later than 5 pm on the 20th of each month. Only finished artwork is accepted. Press quality pdf files preferred. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
SUBSCRIPTIONS: Non-profit community-based organisations may apply to become members of the Review. Member subscription rates
Full page $250 pa
Half page $125 pa
Half yearly rates are also available
Advertising on Covers – available to Member Groups
Front page $150
Back page $120
Inside back page $120
Each month (except January) the Review is hand delivered free to every household in Darlington. Some copies are available from the Post Office and the Pines store. Apart from typing and printing, the Review is run by volunteers. Your co-operation in meeting deadlines is urged.